Today we hit the dollar spot at Target. I was on the hunt for anything school related. Amelia starts pre k in less then a month so I wanted to add more things to help her learn at home.
I got a bucket to put all this stuff in while I work on their learning area. I made a stop a Walmart too and ended up picking more supplies.
I’ll admit I went a little school happy but I love school supplies. Should’ve been a teacher.
I wanted to share their new chore and behavior chart. We are trying a new method (wish us luck). Amelia and Nolan will be able to earn stars and in exchange they will receive 50 cents for every star. They can either exchange the stars for a treat or save the money for a future trip to target. I know Nolan is a little young to understand but I hope he catches on. Never too young right?
Do you guys have a chore and behavior chart? Did it work for you ? Where else is a good place to get teaching supplies? Let me know.
Most of you don’t know that Amelia has a delay in speech so when internet design zone reach out to me to review their kidoland app I was all for it especially with her starting pre k this year.
Kidoland app is a education app where you can play games, sing along to nursery rhymes, learn ABCs and about animals etc.
I really liked that for Millie it was easier to navigate then most educational apps. For Nolan we would sit down and play with it together.
Millie said her favorite game on here is the chomping monster where you put together items for example fruit and then the monsters get to eat it. She also loves to color and trace letters.
Nolan loved listening to the nursery rhymes. He also learned how to use his finger to add fruits to their specific basket. We’re working on colors with him. So far he says purple and blue.
If you head to their website you can make cute name poems. They even have worksheets for you to print. We have a road trip coming up and I usually like to print some color pages for Amelia and put them in a binder for her to color.
In the end I highly recommend it even if you give it a try for a month. To me personally it’s so much better then letting them watch YouTube videos of who knows what sometimes.
My last day as a mom of one. I remember finding out I was going to get induce that night. So Amelia and I headed off for some girl time. I was nervous and excited all at once. I remember thinking is she going to hate me for having a baby. Later that night we dropped her off at my moms. As we drove away I cried (that ugly Kim Kardashian cry). She wasn’t going to be my only baby anymore.
The next day she met her baby brother. She actually didn’t want to see him at 1st . It took her a little bit to warm up to him. Then she would give him kisses. We finally got to go home. My mom dropped her off and then left. That’s when reality hit. We now have two kids.
Patience is key.
My advice for moms for what to do while your pregnant then when you’ve had the baby.
– Try to involve kids in pregnancy and let them choose something for the baby.
– Talk to them about how they feel about having a brother or sister if their young and can’t really grasp what’s going on try and show them pictures of the ultrasound. Let them know mommy has a baby in her belly.
– take them out get some one on one time with them plan dates with mom and dad. I did this a lot while I was pregnant.
– try to get meals ready since I breastfeed Nolan the 1st six weeks I didn’t move from the same spot I would feed him then he would sleep then change him and feed him again. I was able to put him down for maybe 2 hours out of the day.
– get a wrap or carrier! My ergo was a life saver especially going to the store. (If your breastfeeding learn how to feed while he/she is in it)
– Don’t worry about the house this one is harder for me and still is sometimes spending time with kids is more important then a clean house. ( see below)
– take advantage of nap time. This is were I would play with Millie, take a shower, clean etc.
– kids are going to be jealous. It’s a normal human emotion. Amelia still gets jealous that we get excited when Nolan says or does something new. We also get as excited when Amelia shows us something she drew or made. We like to remind her that she’s a big girl and a big sister! I also love showing her pictures or videos of when she was a baby. To help her remember her time with us.
-my advice to family and friends of the mom respect their wishes ask them what they need instead of saying “let me know if you need anything” most moms wont ask for help I know I didn’t.
Mom life now.
Having two kids isn’t easy I actually couldn’t Imagine having more then two. You will just have bad days and you will have good days. As they both get older I involve them in helping me do things around the house. Sometimes they help me feed the dog , put clothes in the washer and dryer. Last week they helped us make breakfast.
Do my kids fight? Yes they do every day actually. Usually over something so simple. Nolan went threw a phase of bitting Amelia because he would get upset at something she did to him. Some days I separate them I send Amelia to play by herself and let Nolan play by himself downstairs. My advice let them get bored. Let their minds come up with ideas on what to do. They usually play pretend or go outside and run around with Zoe (the dog). My kids love playing with her!
I wasn’t sure if I was going to add this next part or not but it’s apart of me and why not.
I suffer from depression and anxiety. As a mom there were days I wouldn’t do anything we would watch movies and cartoons all day. Days where my husband would have to come home to tell the kids to calm down. There not bad kids but when your mind isn’t in a right state and your anxiety is high because there not listening to you. It’s breaks you down and I would cry. Take it day by day. Wake up and tell yourself okay today is going to be a good day. If it’s not that’s fine take it easy that day and start over the next day. My most anxiety came from trying to get out the house with two kids thinking that the store was going to help. Going to the park in the middle of summer isn’t really an option for us when it’s 110 degrees outside. So find places you can go to like indoor playgrounds, kids museum etc.
Don’t forget to take time for yourself (I need to take my own advice and make more time for me). I started working out every weekday and my mood started to change. When I don’t workout during the week I feel sluggish or moody. Drink a glass of wine and watch a chick flick by yourself. Go to the store by yourself! Ask yourself when was the last time you went grocery shopping by yourself? Not having to worry about screaming kids or them putting everything in the cart. I still have so much more to learn. Both my husband and I do. As they get older were going to deal with different struggles. Patience is key!
Do you know a mom who’s pregnant with her 2nd or thinking about having another? Share this post with her. Hopefully it will help put her mind at ease.